Lake Oconee is a great choice as a retirement location!. When a person begins to choose a retirement community, he/she thinks of many facets of life including climate, medical services, recreation, cost of living, and proximity of friends and relatives. After researching existing information about what constitutes a satisfactory retirement location, I have created my own list of reasons to choose Lake Oconee as your retirement home.
1. Climate– Lake Oconee has the proverbial four seasons that make life more interesting. Spring and Fall are spectacular, Summer can be hot, and we even have a little snow every now and then in Winter. Outdoor activities are feasible for the majority of the year.
2. Recreation– There is much to choose from at Lake Oconee in the way of activities: boating, fishing, golf, hiking, horseback riding, kayaking are sports that are popular here. If you enjoy spectator sports, college football and professional baseball and football are a little more than an hour away. In the spring the community is hopping with patrons who attend the Masters Golf Tournament, only an hour away. There are also unlimited opportunities for artists, bridge enthusiasts, and book clubbers.
3. Education– If a retiree wants to expand his/her education , local universities such as the University of Georgia, and Georgia College and State University offer adult learning courses.
4. Medical Care– Lake Oconee residents welcomed the new St.Mary’s Samaritan Hospital in 2014. Several clinics provide access to specialists who have a satellite office in the lake area. Larger hospitals are a short drive away.
5. Volunteerism – Many retirees enjoy giving back to the community. At Lake Oconee, there are many opportunities to volunteer; churches, schools, and large charities such as Habitat for Humanity and Goodwill to name a few. Many of us choose to mentor a local child in the school system.
6. Friendly Taxes– Georgia is rated by Kiplinger as among the 10 best states for tax rates for retirees. Social Security income is exempt, and so are many other types of retirement income. Find the details about Georgia’s taxes at the Kiplinger’s Tax Tool.
7. Wide Range of Housing– Real estate to buy or rent in the Lake Oconee area covers a range from less than $100,000 up to several million dollars. Selections include small town (residential) homes, gated golf communities, lake communities, and farms with acreage. For an example of a small town residential home click here. You can purchase a farm with acreage like the one here. Sample a lake community home here. See an example of a golf community lakeside home here.
8. Grandchildren– Informal studies show that more grandchildren come to visit when the grandparents live at Lake Oconee!