Summer Fun at Lake Oconee includes a lot more than boating, swimming, and golfing! The people in the three county area of the Lake Oconee area put on many arts festivals, holiday celebrations, and concerts. Most of these activities are family-friendly.
- A Lake Country Freedom Festival will be presented by Crooked Creek Marina on the Fourth of July. The day begins with a 5K run, includes food craft vendors, ends with beautiful fireworks. Find details at Festivals and Events.
- The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation is sponsoring a summer outdoor concert and fireworks celebration over Lake Oconee every Sunday night from 7:30 to 10:00 PM. The admission is $10.00 per person. A list of performers is found at the Ritz-Carlton website. My favorite group, Good Vibrations, headed up by my good friend Eddie Byrd, will perform on July31st.
- The Plaza Arts Center in Eatonton, will also sponsor an outdoor concert series at the Plaza starting June 25. Bring the whole family, and your lawn chairs. For these events, and more see the Plaza.
- The local arts organization, OPAS (Oconee Performing Arts Society) is sponsoring the 2011 Village Series which includes a concert withA1A: The Official and Original Jimmy Buffett Tribute Show on July 3rd at 7 PM.
- The annual Village Regatta, an exciting race of locally made cardboard “boats” is set for August 13th. This sounds really crazy, but the event was a great success for the past two years! Local groups vie to create the winning floating craft, some crews come in full dress. Details for both of these events are available at the OPAS office.
- If indoor chamber music is more your style, the Madison-Morgan Cultural Center will house the Madison Chamber Music Concerts until July 15. The highlight of the chamber series will be the appearance of Julie and David Coucheron (below) on July 8 and 9. Their Annual Independence Day Concert and Picnic will be staged outdoors on July 1.
- Children love to attend the annual Sunflower Farm Festival at Rutledge, Georgia. My friend who attended last year says people came away carrying loads of sunflowers. Browse among food and crafts vendors, and let your children enjoy special activities. The event is held July 2-4. It is a thrill to watch July Fourth Fireworks reflected in the water on Lake Oconee! The lights in the foreground are from the many boats people of the area drove to the Great Waters community of Reynolds Plantation last year to witness the grand finale of the July 4th Celebrations!